Author Visit: John Green
Meet author John Green at the Library!
When: Monday, October 15th at 7:00 pm
Where: The Reading Garden Lounge at the Main Library
Meet John Green and hear him present and discuss his new book The Fault in Our Stars, followed by a book signing afterward.
John Green is the New York Times best-selling author of five books: Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, The Fault in Our Stars and Will Grayson, Will Grayson, which he co-wrote with author David Levithan. John Green is also one of the most influential youtubers in history: he and his brother, Hank Green, are the Vlogbrothers (a youtube channel formerly called Brotherhood 2.0). They have posted almost 1,000 videos which have been viewed almost 250 million (yes, million!) times. These videos have spawned an entire community, dubbed Nerdfighteria, that works to decrease world suck and never forgets to be awesome (DFTBA). Hank and John also run several other channels that are used to teach world history and biology (Crash Course), broadcast their gaming skills (Hankgames), and test their viewers knowledge of a wide variety of information (Truth or Fail).
Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with Augustus Waters at a cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life. Tumblr: The Fault in Our Stars
One cold night in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens, both named Will Grayson, are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, they find their lives going in new and unexpected directions. Tumblr: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin "Q" Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q's neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears. Tumblr: Paper Towns
Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships. Tumblr: An Abundance of Katherines
Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash. Tumblr: Looking for Alaska
John Green Quick Facts
- John lives in Indianapolis with his wife Sarah (affectionately referred to as The Yeti by all of Nerdfighteria), his son Henry, and their dog Willie.
- John attended Kenyon College, which is located in Ohio.
- He has previously worked at a Steak and Shake, for the book review journal Booklistas, and as a chaplain.
- He had no idea what the acronym “ftl” stood for and a clever nerdfighter told him it meant “French the Llama”. Ever since, he’s been trying to make it a common expression but so far it doesn’t appear to be used by anyone who does not identify themselves as a nerdfighter. However, he and Nerdfighteria have done a great job of making DFTBA popular, so maybe there’s hope! If you happen to also be in the dark about its meaning, go ahead and use French the Llama. It’s better.
- His hair is referred to as The Puff: the higher the Puff levels, the higher his level of stress.
- John decided to be awesome and sign every single first edition copy of his latest book, The Fault in Our Stars. In case you ever decide you want to sign your name on 150,000 books, be warned that going a little crazy may be a side effect.
- Although, Sharpie Face may just be a John Green thing… this is the same guy who has covered his face with peanut butter (more than once!), waxed his chin and legs, consumed a blenderized Happy Meal, and so much more. In case you missed it the first time, check out his youtube- you can watch him do all of that and so much more.
- Angry John Green turns into a giant squid of anger. I hope you haven’t left youtube because you’ll want to see him do that too.
- When he’s not being completely goofy, John promotes causes that are close to his heart and help to decrease world suck. These include Kiva, The Project for Awesome, My.Water.Org, and so many more.
- If you want a daily reminder to be awesome, John’s mom sells soap that should do the trick.
- Some of John’s author friends include Maureen Johnson, Ransom Riggs, Sarah Dessen, David Levithan, E. Lockart, and Scott Westerfeld.
- Likes: Pizza, poetry, nerds, happy dancing, FIFA and the Swindon Town Swoodly-Poopers, famous last words, puppy-sized elephants
- Dislikes: Unicorns, Tiny Chicken Disease, giant squids of anger
Watch Live on Our Google+ Hangout!
Can’t make it downtown to see John Green? You can still join the fun through our live broadcast of the event on our Google+ Page (http://cinlib.org/SFcFBB). Visit the page on October 15th at 7:00 pm to stream the video. A recorded version will also be posted afterwards on our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/CincinnatiLibrary.
Tell Us What Makes You a Nerdfighter!
What makes you a nerd? Make a video describing what makes you a nerdfighter. It's a nerd-off of epic proportions! Describe your obsession, show it, act it out—your video can be any length but it must abide by YouTube rules and must be submitted by October 10th.
Find John Green Online!
- John will sign and personalize up to three items per person.
- John will sign but not personalize merchandise (i.e. T-shirts, posters).
- John cannot sign items of clothing that are currently being worn.
Still photos are permitted as taken from the signing line. Absolutely no posed photos.
Thanks to YALSA and Penguin Group publishers, John Green is visiting the Library during Teen Read Week. For more than 50 years, YALSA has worked to build the capacity of libraries and librarians to engage, serve and empower teens. For more information about YALSA or to access national guidelines and other resources go to www.ala.org/yalsa.